Incentive awards are those awards which are directly within the purview of the manager or supervisor
for which approval authorities vary based upon the type of
incentive award to be granted and the employee's assignment as General Schedule
(GS), Wage Grade (WG), Senior Executive Service (SES), Senior Technical (ST) or
Senior Leader (SL). Management/Supervisory Officials should be aware of the
special approval required by the Center Director on any award (cash or time off) for
an SES/ST/SL employee. An email request containing a short justification (2-3
sentences) should be sent through the appropriate channels for approval prior to
inputting the award into the NASA Automated Awards System (NAAS). For a full
preview of award authorities, see Award Approval Authorities for GS, WG, SES/ST/SL
- Job Performance
- Performance Awards are lump sum cash and/or time-off awards based on a high level of performance of specific duties identified in an employee’s performance plan and reflected in the most recent performance rating. If the last rating of record is "Fully Successful” or “Accomplished”, additional justification is not required. If the last rating of record is “Distinguished”, then a comprehensive justification is required, reflecting a link between the accomplishments of the individual to the accomplishments of the organization or center’s mission. All GSFC employees, with the exception of SES/ST/SL, are eligible for this award. The "Period of Time Covered" should reflect the performance plan year on which the award is based. Award amounts may not exceed 10 percent of basic pay unless the NASA Administrator approves a higher amount for unusually outstanding performance. Job performance awards are to be submitted only by the supervisor-of-record or higher in the employee’s home organization.
- Special Act (Individual)
- Special Act Awards are lump sum cash and/or time-off awards based on employee actions, which have exceeded job requirements on a one-time occurrence. All GSFC employees are eligible.
- Special Act (Group Achievement)
- Group Achievement Awards are Special Act lump sum cash and/or time-off awards granted to any group or team of individuals who, through technical and managerial competence, personal dedication, and joint cooperation, have made an outstanding contribution to the Center's mission. All GSFC employees are eligible.
- Quality Increase
- Quality Step Increase (QSI) awards are a step increase in addition to, and apart from, the regular within-grade increases. QSI awards are given for sustained high-quality performance significantly above that expected at the fully successful level in the employee’s position. Only GS employees with a current performance summary rating of “Distinguished”; below Step 10 of his/her grade level, and who have not received a QSI within the past 52 consecutive calendar weeks are eligible.
- Time-off Award
- Time-Off Awards are awards of time off without charge to leave or loss of pay primarily intended to recognize employee(s) contributions of a one-time non-recurring nature. Time-Off Awards can be used alone or in conjunction with monetary awards (Job Performance or Special Act). Time-Off may be granted in amounts of up to 40 hours for a single contribution not to exceed 80 hours during a leave year. All GSFC employees are eligible. Refer to GPD 3451.1 to determine the number of hours appropriate for the contribution.
The points of contact for guidance and assistance with the GSFC Awards Program are Khrista White, Awards Officer, 301-286-9059, and Marisa Jackson (MJ), 301-286-4574, in the Performance and Worklife Dynamics Office.